Marble Palace, Kolkata. Important visiting information
More about Marble Palace, Kolkata and Historical Information
Marble Palace is one of the most famous attractions of Kolkata. Built by the wealthiest merchant of his time, the palace is the most preserved mansions of the 19th century era. The palace has intricately carved pillars and walls. The whole palace is made up of marble giving it the name.
It was built by Raja Rajendra Mullick in 1835. He had great passion for collecting art and antiques. This place contains large volumes of western sculpture, paintings and other antiques such as chandeliers, clocks, urns, etc. This place is said to contain painting from famous artists such as Ruben, Sir Joshua Reynolds, Titian, Murillo, and John Opie.
The marble place is a private residence, inhabited by the descendants of Raja Rajendra Mullick Bahadur. Entry to this place is free, but you have to get a special permit 24 hours in advance from 24 hours in advance from the West Bengal Tourism Information Bureau at BBD Bag, Kolkata. Being a private residence photography is prohibited and the inhabited area is off limits. There is also a zoo besides the palace, the first zoo opened in India. It has birds and some species of deer’s and other small animals.
The whole place is built in traditional Bengali style with thakur-dalan and open courtyards. The premises also has a rock garden and a lake. This Palace is undoubtedly the most beautiful place in Kolkata.
Marble Palace, Kolkata address and how to reach
How To Reach: By Train: 4.9 KM away from Howrah Junction Railway Station
By Air: 13.9 KM away from Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport
Railway Address :Howrah Railway Station, Howrah, West Bengal Airport Address :Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport
Way from Nearest Railway station Way from Nearest Airport
Popular trains in which you can travel to Marble Palace in Kolkata
- PRATHAM S S EXP (Train NO: 11105)
- KOAA AGC EXPRES (Train NO: 12319)
- KOAA NLDM EXP (Train NO: 12325)
- DURGIANA EXP (Train NO: 12357)
- PNBE GARIB RATH (Train NO: 12359)
- KOAA HDB SUPF E (Train NO: 12363)
- BKN KOAA SUP EX (Train NO: 12495)
- GHY GARIB RATH (Train NO: 12517)
- KOAA DBRG EXP (Train NO: 12525)
- MAITREE EXPRESS (Train NO: 13107)
- MAITREE EXPRESS (Train NO: 13109)
- HAZARDUARI EXP (Train NO: 13113)
- KOAA LGL EXPRES (Train NO: 13117)
- KOAA ANVT EXP (Train NO: 13131)
- KOAA JYG EXP (Train NO: 13135)
- KOAA AMH EXPRES (Train NO: 13137)
- RADHIKAPUR EXP (Train NO: 13145)
- JAMMU TAWI EXP (Train NO: 13151)
- MITHILANCHAL EX (Train NO: 13155)
- TIRHUT EXPRESS (Train NO: 13157)