Global Vipassana Pagoda, Mumbai. Important visiting information
More about Global Vipassana Pagoda, Mumbai and Historical Information
Global Vipassana pagoda a Buddhist meditation hall near Gorai, Mumbai. It is situated on a peninsula between Gorai creek and the Arabian Sea. The hall is built as a symbol of world peace and harmony and was inaugurated by then president of India, Pratibha Patil in February 2009. It is world’s largest pagoda without any supporting pillars.
The foundation is of basalt whereas the pagoda is built from sandstones procured from Rajasthan. The pagoda is built using ancient Indian and modern technology to enable it to stand for centuries. The sandstone blocks are arranged such that it fits the adjacent block perfectly with the space filled with lime mortar. The spiral of the pagoda is gold plated with an umbrella on the top, which was donated by the Burmese. The main doors are hand carved and imported from Myanmar.
The dome enshrines the relics of the Buddha which were donated to be kept there by the Mahabodhi Society of India and the prime minister of Srilanka.
The pagoda is built with the aim to spread the teachings of Buddha. The structure is an exact replica of the Shwedagon Pagoda in Yangon, Myanmar. The pagoda aims at preserving the ancient practice of vipasana followed by the Burmese and offers a free ten day course on meditated to the willing.
Image Credits: Joe Ravi
Global Vipassana Pagoda, Mumbai address and how to reach
How To Reach: By Train: 25.9 KM away from Borivali Railway Station
By Air: 41.3 KM away from Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport
Railway Address :Borivali railway station, Chinchpada, Borivali, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400066 Airport Address :Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400099
Way from Nearest Railway station Way from Nearest Airport
Popular trains in which you can travel to Global Vipassana Pagoda in Mumbai
- CSN CSTM T F SP (Train NO: 01153)
- CSTM JBP SPL (Train NO: 01711)
- MANDOVI EXPRESS (Train NO: 10103)
- KONKAN KANYA EX (Train NO: 10111)
- DECCAN EXPRESS (Train NO: 11007)
- SINHAGAD EXP (Train NO: 11009)
- KONARK EXPRESS (Train NO: 11019)
- SAHYADRI EXPRES (Train NO: 11023)
- CHENNAI MAIL (Train NO: 11027)
- KOYNA EXPRESS (Train NO: 11029)
- CSTM CHENNAI EX (Train NO: 11041)
- AMRITSAR EXPRES (Train NO: 11057)
- MAHANAGARI EXP (Train NO: 11093)
- UDYAN EXPRESS (Train NO: 11301)
- CSTM SOLAPUR EX (Train NO: 11305)
- NANDIGRAM EXP (Train NO: 11401)
- SHATABDI EXP (Train NO: 12009)
- VIDARBHA EXPRES (Train NO: 12105)
- PANCHAVATI EXP (Train NO: 12109)
- CSTM AMRAVATI E (Train NO: 12111)