Haji Ali Dargah, Mumbai. Important visiting information
More about Haji Ali Dargah, Mumbai and Historical Information
Haji Ali Dargah is situated on the rocky isles off the coast of Mumbai and is one of the most recognizable landmarks of Mumbai. It was built as a memorial to Syed Peer Haji Ali Shah Bukhari, a wealthy Muslim merchant who renounced all his worldly possessions and went on a pilgrimage to Mecca.
According to legend, he had asked his followers to cast his body into the Arabian sea after his death. While on the pilgrim he fell ill and died. His followers put his body in the coffin and carried out his wish. As if it was divine intervention his body floated back to the coast of Mumbai and got stuck in the rocky isles. A Dargah was constructed in his remembrance.
The Dargah is accessible only during low tides through the walkway constructed to it. During high tides it remains inaccessible and remains closed. People from all religion and faith flock it daily to pay homage to this great fakir. It witnesses a large traffic of about ten thousand people every day. The special days like Tuesdays and Fridays witness increased traffic as it is considered holy days among Muslims.
The Dargah was recently renovated and repaired. The marbles used were from the same the Makrana mines that was source of the marbles of the TajMahal. The ambiance and atmosphere of the place is like no other and has remained the sentinel of Mumbai coast for hundreds of years. It is must see for people wishing to experience the diverse and serene ambience of India.
Image Credits: Humayunn
Haji Ali Dargah, Mumbai address and how to reach
Way from Nearest Airport Way from Nearest Railway station
Popular trains in which you can travel to Haji Ali Dargah in Mumbai
- CSN CSTM T F SP (Train NO: 01153)
- CSTM JBP SPL (Train NO: 01711)
- MANDOVI EXPRESS (Train NO: 10103)
- KONKAN KANYA EX (Train NO: 10111)
- DECCAN EXPRESS (Train NO: 11007)
- SINHAGAD EXP (Train NO: 11009)
- KONARK EXPRESS (Train NO: 11019)
- SAHYADRI EXPRES (Train NO: 11023)
- CHENNAI MAIL (Train NO: 11027)
- KOYNA EXPRESS (Train NO: 11029)
- CSTM CHENNAI EX (Train NO: 11041)
- AMRITSAR EXPRES (Train NO: 11057)
- MAHANAGARI EXP (Train NO: 11093)
- UDYAN EXPRESS (Train NO: 11301)
- CSTM SOLAPUR EX (Train NO: 11305)
- NANDIGRAM EXP (Train NO: 11401)
- SHATABDI EXP (Train NO: 12009)
- VIDARBHA EXPRES (Train NO: 12105)
- PANCHAVATI EXP (Train NO: 12109)
- CSTM AMRAVATI E (Train NO: 12111)